10 of the most amazing planets.
The Milky Way is not the largest galaxy in the universe. Rather, it can be called average. However, even in such a galaxy, there are approximately 100 billion planets. We know only a small part of them. However, some of them are of particular interest to astronomers. Consider the top 10 most interesting planets that scientists have already discovered in our galaxy.
“Three Suns”. The planet LTT1445Ab is lucky to have sunlight. It has such an interesting location that it is illuminated simultaneously by three stars, roughly similar to the sun. LTT1445Ab is 1.35 times the size of Earth, located 22 light-years from our planet. It receives 5 times more radiation than our planet.
- “Copy of the Earth”. 470 light-years away is an almost exact replica of our planet. It was named Kepler 438b. The planet is illuminated by a red dwarf. Kepler 438b is located in the”habitable zone”. The temperature regime on it is quite comfortable even for human habitation. Kepler 438b is 1.4 times larger than Earth, and has not yet been fully studied. It may even be uninhabited due to the frequent flares on the red dwarf.
- ” New Year as on Earth”. Astronomers have found a planet where the New Year is coming just like ours. Kepler 452b makes a complete revolution around its star in exactly 385 days. Today, this is the closest indicator to our planet. However, Kepler 452b is almost not similar to Earth. Its mass is 5 times more.
- “Closer to home”. Which planet is closest to us? This is Proxima-b, which is located near the star “Proxima Centauri”. It is” only ” 4.2 light-years away. However, so far it is the closest of all known planets.
5 “ “Water tank”. Kepler 62f is very far away, about 1,200 light-years away, and is illuminated by an orange dwarf. Scientists are interested in it because it is supposedly completely covered with an ice crust, under which there is an ocean the size of Europe.
- “Endless New Year”. Teegarden b is located near the star “Teegarden” – a small red dwarf that barely illuminates it. However, it is located so close and rotates at such a speed that it makes a complete revolution in just 5 days! Therefore, if people lived there, they would definitely be tired of celebrating the New Year.
- “Demonic Planet”. Gliese 581 is the kind of hell we’re used to seeing in movies and reading in books. It also orbits a red dwarf. The peculiarity of this planet is that it is turned to the star with only one side. So there’s just a fantastic temperature difference. The heat on the sunny side is enough to incinerate anything, and the cold on the opposite side is enough to instantly freeze any substance.
- “Precious Planet”. Do you know what it is, the biggest diamond in the universe? This is planet 55 Cancri e. Its peculiarity is that its surface has completely collapsed, exposing the carbon core. Under the colossal pressure and the influence of temperature, it turned into a solid diamond. Oh, I wish there was a jeweler who could cut it into a diamond.
- “Ice Cube”. Gliese 436b is a unique planet of its kind. The temperature on it is more than + 400 Celsius, and it is an ice block. The reason is particularly interesting – under high gravity, water molecules are compressed so much that they simply cannot evaporate from the surface.
- “Glass rain”. HD 189733b, located 63 light-years from Earth, would appear to be an ordinary, unremarkable planet. If not for one “But”. It rains glass on it! And hurricanes carry this glass on the surface of the planet. The atmosphere on the planet is filled with silicon dioxide in liquid form. When it falls to the surface, it hardens, and turns into real glass.